Geographical Information System
The Geographic Information System that has been developed is the basis for the spatial organization of the management and operation of the National Park of Samaria.
In particular, this essential tool and data packet used to clarify basic structural characteristics of vegetation and land use in the area of competence of the Body, human resource management and visitors and for the longitudinal study of changes in the existing structure of natural and artificial elements of space power .
The gorge of Samaria is equipped with advanced security systems to ensure communication in case of emergency.
All along the trail, officials dress features portable transceiver to communicate among themselves and with Xyloskalo, Samaria, Agia Roumeli and the offices of the Agency in Chania where base stations are installed to ensure the safety of humans within the gorge and tackle an emergency.
Management Body Samaria National Park has a rich theme library where anyone interested can obtain information on a variety of topics.
The National Park Management Body Samaria has a library of about 1,500 titles printed materials and 200 titles of digital material, in Greek and in English, which was created under the Operational Programme “Environment” of the CSF and constantly enriched by donations from organizations, institutions and individuals.
Library materials, covering a wide range of scientific fields and disciplines such as:
- Environmental Education
- Ecology, Natural Environment
- Geology / Mineralogy
- Meteorology / Climatology
- Renewable Energy
- Mathematics / Statistics
- Geodesy, Remote Sensing, Geographical Information Systems
- Environmental Law
- Environmental Protection, Pollution Control Technologies water air
- engineering (soil mechanics, hydraulics, fluid mechanics, statics, technical engineering)
- Building construction
- Seismology / Earthquake Resistant Structures
- Computing (programming languages, manuals, programs, databases)
- Public Administration, Public Works, Contracts
- Government, Insurance, Labor Law
- Economics, Accounting, Tax
- Geography / Travel (national parks Greece & abroad)
- customs, traditions
- Encyclopedias for the natural environment, sciences
- Dictionaries (general dictionaries, explanatory dictionaries scientific terms in Greek and in English)
- Maps / Atles
The Library was established to assist the operation and activities of the Agency, such as planning, coordination and implementation of project monitoring in the protected area, environmental advice, planning and organization of programs for monitoring environmental parameters, the design, organization and monitoring programs undertaking surveillance / storage, procurement, projects, computerization and creation of databases, planning and organizing actions for environmental information and coordination of voluntary actions.The Library is housed in the offices of the Management Samaria National Park in the 4 floor in Nicholas Plastiras 10 in Chania.
The Library does not function as a lending library. Stakeholders, however, able to visit the offices of the Agency during the hours of 8:00 to 15:00 from Monday to Friday, after consultation with the staff of the Agency, and study the material within the Library.
Contact: Peroulaki Elpida
e-mail: [email protected]
See the complete library catalog here